Sunday, February 23, 2014

And The Nominees Are...

I was at home this morning, peacefully going about life taking care of household chores when the phone rang.  I did not recognize the incoming local number, but I answered the call anyway.

"Hello?"

Silence.

"Hello?"

Click.

I suppose the person on the other end realized they had a wrong number.  I continued on with the housework when the phone rang again.  I noted from the caller ID that this time it was a local cell phone number.  I answered the call again.

"Hello?"

Silence.

"Hello?"

Click.

Same person, perhaps? When I moved into the area I expected to get callers trying to reach someone who used to have the phone number.  I discovered quickly that the number once belonged to a local pharmacy, since that was usually the first question I was asked.  An older set of Yellow Pages later confirmed those suspicions.  This caller, though, seemed to be special. 

Apparently the person thought that changing from a land line to a cell phone and dialing the very same the number would cause their call to magically route the intended destination instead of once again ringing at my home. 

Hello, Darwin Awards?  I have a nominee.

No comments:

Post a Comment